4th October 2010

Blimey . . is it really that long since my last blog post??
Well . . yeah it is! It's been quite a busy year here at Chez Gloria, what with the dicho-findings business, glass art work and kiln problems!
Since I last posted I have made a few more "Flower" bowls, using some of the design elements in the original white one and tweaking some of the others. Here are some of the results:

. . And just as I was about to continue this series of bowls . . my kiln crashed! Well . . not crashed exactly . . the insulation material in the lid started to degrade and fall into the glass when it was hot! Not a great thing to happen when you spend tens of hours making something beautiful! It took 10 weeks of hard emailing, persuading, cajoling and threatening to get a refund on the kiln . . almost the whole summer! I've ordered a new replacement kiln . . and needless to say I haven't ordered one from the same company! The new kiln will be here in around 2 weeks time! An FK4, up-specced, from Kilncare . . a British Kiln Manufacturer!

It's 1000mm x 500mm inside, so it will allow me to make much bigger architectural and glass art pieces, as well as make two flower bowls at the same time! I'm really quite looking forward to getting the kiln and am so excited at the new posibilities that it will open up for me . . even if the dichro-findings does take up a lot of time! . . and I fully intend to document my progress here on the Cooking With Glass Blog!


Flower Bowl Update . . I thought I might have gotten more done on Thursday evening . . unfortunately all I managed to do was cut and shape the white "petals" for the bowl. So . . had a good day in the studio today . . got everything ready for the first firing in the kiln to fuse the glass . . and went for it this evening!

White petals cut, trimmed and shaped. Centre circle marked out and centre circle cut. I did remove all the marker marks before assembling the pieces for fusing.

French Vanilla Petals cut and shaped and positioned over white Petals on the underside. Centre circle positioned. As you can see, the French Vanilla petals have been set slightly shorter than the white ones. This is so that when the glass fuses the FV will drop short of the edge of the white and react with it to produce a grey outline . . she says . . hopefully!

All on the kiln shelf and in the kiln ready for the first firing - a full fuse at 1500F / 815C - around 8 - 12 hours total time . . and and should be cool enough by mid-day on Sunday to start adding the decoration layers and fusing those into the design.

13th JANUARY 2010

New Project finally underway . . a Flower Bowl . . having chosen the design by a friends, family, colleagues and fellow Crafteroo . . er's vote - design No.1! Need to get a move on with this piece now . . it has to be finished by Friday morning 22nd Jan as it's going to be a Birthday Present!

Made a start on glass cutting for the bowl by cutting 3 glass circles and then splitting two of them for the flower "petals". The third circle is the main "base" of the bowl upon which the petals will be set.

So . . the next job is sizing, shaping and positioning the "petals" on the base for it's first full fuse firing. Then after that the design will be applied in layers with a full fuse firing between each one and then finally a slump firing to give the bowl it's final shape. I'll keep you posted on progress :o)


I've been working on this one all over Christmas and it came out of the kiln for the final time on New Years morning - 15 inch diameter by 4 inch deep.

24 DECEMBER 2009

After 6 days and 5 nights of labouring over sharp glass and a hot kiln I finally finished this bowl at 5.00 am on 24th December . . just in time to wrap it up and give it to a very good friend for Christmas!! Snapped the photogs at work before last minute wrapping!

Subscribe To My Blog

Subscribe to my Blog via email